If you have Farsightedness, Astigmatism, Nearsightedness or Presbyopia your chances are pretty good that you may be a Lasik eye surgery candidate. A screening exam can be done by an Ophthalmologist or Lasik surgeon in Santa Rosa California or in a town near you.
Lasik or laser eye surgery is a process of reshaping the cornea to improve vision. The screening process is painless and takes about 35 to 40 minutes and it may even be free of charge. As many as 85% to 90% of people tested are indeed Lasik surgery candidates but there are exceptions – some “gray areas” that only a highly educated and experienced surgeon can determine.
The following points will certainly play a role:
1. Certain medical conditions, hormonal fluctuation and age can affect
the outcome of the surgery and should be taken into consideration.
2. Your vision must be infection- and injury free for at least a year prior
3. Anyone under 18 years of age are not allowed to have Lasik surgery.
4. Take into consideration how it will affect your job and daily life.
5. If you participate in contact sport, Lasik may not be the answer for
6. You are not a Lasik candidate if you:
A) Have severe dry eye syndrome
B) Have an auto-immune disease
C) Have scarring of the cornea
D) Have herpes eye infection
E) Needed a new prescription for glasses or contact lenses in the past
7. You can not be pregnant of nursing on the day of surgery
Apart from these factors that you may already know the answer to, the Ophthalmologist will have to do some tests to determine the following:
8. A)The shape of your eyes
B) The size and position of the pupil
C) The curve and thickness of the cornea
With so many baby-boomers over 40, there are thousands upon thousands of people who would love to have Lasik eye surgery done. But your first priority should be to determine if you are indeed a Lasik candidate and to take the risks into consideration as well. In other words, do you homework.
Lasik or “refractive eye surgery” has been a blessing to millions of people worldwide. Visit an Ophthalmologist in Santa Rosa California or in a town near you to determine if you are indeed a Lasik candidate and will be able to terminate your dependency on eye glasses and /or contact lenses.