We all do our best these days to be as “green” or “eco-friendly” as possible without breaking the bank. I for one am constantly on the lookout for natural products that don’t cost a fortune. It’s tough being green….and sometimes we get lucky and fine something that is not only eco friendly but inexpensive as well.
Making your own natural cleaners and organic home products is not only fun, but really easy. There’s nothing like the satisfaction of knowing you’ve done something good for yourself, your family and your environment.
Instructions Things You’ll Need:
- 10ml (approx. 0.3 oz) of grain alcohol (not isopropyl) or mentholated spirits
- 500 ml (approx. 16 oz.) of distilled water
- choose from any of the following essential oils, listed in descending order of their antiseptic powers:
- tea tree
- 16 oz. spray mist bottle
- Step 1
To make your eco-friendly air-freshener you must first choose which essential oils youâ€™d like to use. Iâ€™ve listed them in descending order of their antiseptic/anti-bacterial qualities; Thyme, Tea Tree, Clove, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary, Eucalyptus and Cinnamon. (These are approximate as many times depending on the specific essential oilâ€™s original plant materials , chemotypes, growing conditions and other factors, (i.e.Eucalyptus, Cinnamon, Rosemary, etc.) may actually be higher on their antiseptic / anti-bacterial list of attributes at any given time. But any / or all of the essential oils listed are excellent for purifying and cleaning the air; freshening it naturally. You may choose a combination of your favorites, or use only one of them. It wonâ€™t really matter, they all work brilliantly.
- Step 2
Next, grab your 16 oz. spray bottle and dissolve 30 to 40 drops of your chosen essential oils into the 10ml of grain alcohol (or mentholated spirits).
- Step 3
Then add 500ml (approx 16 oz.) of distilled water and shake well to mix. This will need to be mixed before each use. ( I write on the bottle â€œShake & Spray Natural Air Freshenerâ€ and the â€˜scentâ€™ I used with a Sharpie so I wonâ€™t forget to shake the contents each time.)
Tips & Warnings
- Have fun and experiment with different essential oils
- I like to add Neroli, or Sweet Orange to my scent blends, but there are literally, hundreds of choices to make your air freshener unique and suited to your tastes. As long as it has one of the above essential oils included in your blend, it will work 🙂
- Aromatherapy information provided is not designed to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any illness or injury and is provided for informational purposes only. Always consult a medical doctor, or other alternative medical practitioner when suffering from any disease, illness, or injury, or before attempting a traditional or folk remedy.
- Keep all products away from children. As with any natural product, they can be toxic if misused.