Getting started as a freelance writer isn’t really a difficult process. Anyone with a computer has the opportunity to start a freelance writing career. Having said that, there are some important things that you should do if you want to be serious about starting as a freelance writer:
* Master the basics. To make it as a freelance writer, you have to be able to write well. You have to have a firm grasp on the rules of the English language. You have to understand punctuation, grammar, formatting and structure. Knowing these things doesn’t guarantee that you will make it as a freelance writer; however, you can be almost certain that you will fail as a freelance writer if you don’t master the basics of the language.
* Improve your craft. Successful writers work to improve their writing skills continually. They educate themselves on writing techniques, they ask other writers for advice, they read books on writing. To be a freelance writer, you have to be ready to constantly make adjustments and improvements on your writing.
* Learn basic business skills. A freelance writer is her own boss. She has to find clients, deliver product, and collect payment, just like any other small business. She has to market herself and her writing. She has to keep track of expenses and income. She has to treat her writing as a business.
* Write! Writers write, always. To start as a freelance writer, you’ve got to be willing to write a lot. You’ve got to be willing to write at least some every day. Especially when you are first starting out as a freelance writer, you can expect to write for as much as six to seven hours every day. If you can’t imagine writing that much or that often, you should think about a different career.
* Learn from others. Sometimes the best thing that you can do when you want to start as a freelance writer is find another freelance writer as a mentor who will take you under his wing. He can show you the ropes, help you improve your craft, work with you on the business side of things, and can often help you to land freelance writing jobs.