1. It all starts in the shower by hydrating your skin it makes for a better tan. So take shower before you go out to tan. First of all this increases oxygenation of the skin and it takes UVA + UVB + oxygen to tan. Second, lotion absorbs better just after you shower. Finally, if you are using a product with DHA bronzers in it then it is important that you wait between 2 to 4 hours after tanning before you shower or else you lose some of the color you were headed for.
2. Find the right spot to tan, some way close to the sun but not so close your laying on rock and seashell. You might want to come early to get that good spot, on a vary hot day it can get crowed.
3. Make sure to were sunscreen SPF between 4-15, if you don’t were any sunscreen then UVA and UVB rays can harm your skin and you can burn. Make sure put you sunscreen on in the shade give it time to soak in about 20-25 minutes. If you want to go swimming and not have to apply it over and over again then make sure your sunscreen is water proof.
4. Make sure to protect your eyes they can burn too, it is better to just wear a hat than waring sun glass.
5. The last thing is to make sure use a aloe base lotion to sooth and moisturize your skin. This will keep your skin healthy and also help it to not become flaky and dry.