Image by Author
Satay Chicken Skewer Ingredients:
- 12 Skewers (bamboo or metal)
- 700 Grams of Chicken Tenderloins
- 6 Green Onions
- 1½ Cups of Jasmine Rice
- 1 Cup of Peanut Butter Satay Sauce or Peanut Sauce or Barbeque Satay Sauce
- ¼ Cup of Coconut Milk
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1½ Tablespoons each of Soy Sauce and Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Peanut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric
- Olive Oil or Non-Stick Cooking Spray (for cooking the chicken)
- If you are using bamboo skewers soak them in water for ½ to 1 hour prior to threading the chicken tenderloin halves onto them
- Crush the garlic (a garlic press is the easiest way to do this)
- Cut the chicken tenderloins in half lengthways
- Rinse, trim and slice the green onions diagonally
- Into a medium-sized mixing bowl add the soy sauce, the honey, the turmeric, the crushed garlic and the peanut oil and mix until combined
- Now add in the chicken pieces and stir and turn the chicken pieces making sure that each piece of chicken is coated on all sides with the marinade mixture. Alternatively, you could transfer the combined marinade mixture into a zip lock plastic bag, add the chicken pieces, seal the zip lock bag and then shake vigorously to coat the chicken pieces with marinade.
- Now thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Once threaded place each skewer in turn onto a dinner plate. Continue threading the marinade coated chicken pieces onto skewers until all of the chicken has been skewered and placed onto the dinner plate.
- Spoon the remaining marinade over the chicken skewers, cover with plastic cling wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour
- In the meantime cook the rice in accordance with the instructions on the packet. Once the rice has been cooked and strained use a fork to separate the grains as we do not want any rice clumps. Then add in the sliced green onions and stir to distribute the sliced green onions more or less evenly throughout the rice.
- Take a small saucepan and add in the ¼ cup of coconut milk along with a cup of Peanut Butter Satay Sauce or Peanut Sauce or Barbeque Satay Sauce (you could mix and match various satay sauces to reflect your own preferences)
- Give the sauce ingredients a quick stir and then place the saucepan over a medium heat and stirring continually cook until heated right through (usually takes from 2½to 3½ minutes)
- Preheat your griller, barbeque grill, griddle, hot plate etc. to medium and once your cooking surface is up to temperature; oil it or spray it with non-stick cooking spray
- Give the chicken skewers a quick oil/spray and immediately place them onto your prepared cooking surface and cook for about 6 minutes, remembering to turn them a couple of times
- Once cooked place your chicken skewers onto a serving platter or dinner plates and drizzle with satay mixture
- If you like a bit more heat then add a teaspoon of chili flakes to the marinade
- You will find that these portions will be sufficient to satisfy 4 adult servings
- Satay chicken skewers are delightful when served on a bed of rice accompanied by a selection of steamed mixed vegetables
- They also make great finger food for parties and snacks alike
- To serve satay chicken skewers with pita bread; firstly heat the pita bread, then remove the cooked satay chicken from the skewers and place onto your warm pita bread. Load up with a fresh green salad, egg and grated cheese, apply your favorite condiments, roll up the pita bread and enjoy!