Cooking is a great invention of man in moving towards civilized life. He discovered that cooking makes food tasty and easy for digestion. In some countries such as India people spend a lot of time for cooking. But fast food and ready made foods are taking over everywhere minimizing the time for cooking. Oil has an important place in cooking. It gives taste and necessary fat. Olive is good for cooking.
Ten benefits of cooking in olive oil
1) Olive oil is good for health as it is low in saturated fatty acids though for some people taste of olive oil is a problem. It is rich in mono-saturated fatty acids that are good for heart in lowering the ‘bad’ cholesterol (LDL) and at the same time good for increasing good cholesterol (HDL).
2) Olive oil can reduce blood pressure and regulate blood sugar level. Hence it is ideal for heart patients.
3) It contains beneficial anti-oxidants which prevent ageing and prevent cancer, especially breast cancer.
4) There are two types of olive oil. Oil obtained after the first cold pressing of the olive fruit is called extra virgin olive oil which is the most expensive. It is used for salads and dressings, for drizzling over slices of bread or sandwiches, baked potatoes, and for brushing on cooked fish or meat.
5) The other one virgin olive oil is a little lower in grade than the extra virgin oil and is obtained from more ripe olive fruits. Olive oil wards off hunger and the fats in it this oil increase metabolism.
6) This virgin olive oil is refined and used as tasteless oil. Both refined and pure olive oil can be used for frying, sautéing and cooking. Lighter olive oils can be used for salads and cooking.
7) Extra virgin olive oil contains higher levels of antioxidants, particularly vitamin E and phenols, because it is less processed and is obtained in the first press.
8) Olive oil is very well tolerated by human stomach. In fact, the protective function of the olive oil has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. It activates secretion of digestive hormones, such as bile and pancreatic hormones, much more naturally than prescribed medicines.
9) Due to the hormone secretion effect of olive oil in the digestive system, it lowers the incidence of gallstone formation.
10) Olive oil is a natural juice obtained readily available from the olive fruit and it preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is, since it is got fresh from the fruit.