There are cookies that have about twenty steps to them and then there are cookies or goodies that you pretty much just throw everything into a bowl, stir and then spoon out onto a cookie sheet. If it’s fast to whip up, I want to know about them. I hope that you will follow my series of Cookies you can whip up with your eyes closed. So lets get started. Grab your apron and lets make some cookies!
Recipe: Toffee Walnut Bars
1 cup butter… don’t use margarine (be sure to get it out early so it can soften)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk… yes, I hate this too. What do you do with the egg white?? I use it for a facial… I apply it to my face to tighten everything up. Rinse with cool water and you would be amazed.
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
2 cups chocolate chips
1.Using a large cookie sheet 15 1/2 inch by 10 1/2 inch… spray it with your favorite veg spray
2. Beat brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add the yolk and the vanilla and stir to combine.
4. Stir in the flour and a cup of the nuts. Reserve a 1/4 cup for the top.
5. Transfer the dough to the cookie sheet and press out with your fingers.
6. bake 18 to 20 minutes until the crust is lightly browned.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. You want them to immediately begin softening. This layer will be evened out with a rubber spatula.
8.Sprinkle with the last 1/4 cup of nuts and then allow to set. Should take a couple of hours in total.
And yes, you can lick the spatula.
Things To Consider
1. If these cookies are to be shared, be sure that you are aware of any allergies that your child’s friends might have.
2. Keep your own hands clean. While preparing the food, you will probably touch about a zillion different surfaces. Be sure to wash your hands often!
3. Read the recipe twice… at least. I have quickly scanned a recipe, that then completely missed the fact that I needed eggs. Yes, definitely been there and done that.
4. And be sure that you cover the page of the cookbook that you aren’t using. I have combined recipes more than once. Sometimes, I have gotten away with it, other times I haven’t! Better to be safe than sorry.
5. As you run out of ingredients, make sure that you write them down on a shopping list that you have tacked to the fridge. It makes baking so much easier if you actually have all the ingredients!
6. For best results, be certain that all of your ingredients are fresh. It does make a big difference.
7. I actually use a lot of powdered milk in my baking. That way I can make the amount I need and there is no chance that we will run out when breakfast time rolls around.
Tags: goodies, cookies, baking, baked goods, fast and easy recipes, children’s lunches, toffee walnut bars