Before you, as a homeschool parent, start working from home, there are some things that you must think about. You will also need to have a plan, information and support. This is because it requires certain skills and abilities to do these things but they are the same for each thing that you want to do. Going into it with your eyes wide open will ensure your success though.
Issues To Consider
There are some issues that you will want to take into consideration so that you will be able to strive to be successful in both of these areas of your life. You will need to:
- Be organized
- Follow tasks through until they are complete
- Be a self-starter
- Work through the various distractions that surround you (i.e. housework, television, the Internet, toys)
You will need to work through most of these things even if you decide to only homeschool your child. So, in the end, you may be surprised to see that you really are the type of person who would be successful at homeschooling and working from home too.
Tips For Success
If you feel that you can handle both working at home and homeschooling at the same time, then the following tips will help you be more successful in doing so:
- Make sure that you have everything you need for both your child’s schooling and your job (i.e. an organized workspace, notebooks and other office supplies).
- Manage your time wisely but still allow for some flexibility
- Make sure that both you and your child get enough exercise, entertainment and peer interaction.
- Ask for help and support whenever necessary.